This project is read-only.

Windows 7 wallpaper transitions

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Edited Aug 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Can you access the windows api to call a transition, rather than just refresh with a new image? (I'm speaking of the collage).

After using 7 for so long, even a modest abrupt change is rather jarring...

If not, could you add an option (maybe a radiobox) where the program would create the next image as it does, but not force the background to change, so I (we) could use a secondary program that does implement the transition call,  to pull that image?

Either option would be greatly appreciated. Other than the abrupt change, I really love the collage option....

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I wasn't aware there was a 'transition call' available to 3rd party applications to do this.  But I'll definitely look into it (I also find it jarring).

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM
cmrazek wrote:

I wasn't aware there was a 'transition call' available to 3rd party applications to do this.  But I'll definitely look into it (I also find it jarring).

I found this if it helps. I have no programming experience at all, but my last wallpaper changer did it so I know there's a way.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1802418

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Thanks, Freshie, tried it, but looks like that isn't going to work.  IActiveDesktop is a very old interface that's only supported on Windows XP and earlier.  I'd be hesitant to rely something that old on a modern application.

At this point, it looks like the only way to get wallpaper transitions working is to hope MS releases a library that supports that feature.  So in the meantime, we're stuck with instantly changing wallpapers.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:54 AM

I just did a quick search. The one i used before was johnsbackgroundswitcher. I don't know if there's a source code or not.
http://johnsadventures.com/forum/

On Aug 23, 2012 8:56 PM, "cmrazek" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks, Freshie, tried it, but looks like that isn't going to work. IActiveDesktop is a very old interface that's only supported on Windows XP and earlier. I'd be hesitant to rely something that old on a modern application.

At this point, it looks like the only way to get wallpaper transitions working is to hope MS releases a library that supports that feature. So in the meantime, we're stuck with instantly changing wallpapers.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (wallswitch@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email wallswitch@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I sent an email through your contact page with info from my friend on how to call the transition.