This project is read-only.

"Separate image for each monitor" not working?

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:22 AM
Hi! This program was recommended to me as one that could handle two different size monitors. The configuration certainly is simple enough, nice work on that. For some reason, though, I can't get the two monitors to stop showing the same picture.

I have it set to Full Screen - Random - Fill, and Separate Image for Each Monitor is selected, but I always get the image from the first monitor (1366 x 768) tiled on the second monitor (1680 x 1050). It doesn't matter how big the original image is. Looking at the history, it shows that two images are chosen, so one of them is not being displayed.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. My monitors are set to "extend these displays."
Dec 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Hey psychoadept,

After playing around for a bit, I noticed it doesn't draw the images properly when a monitor orientation is set to "portrait". I'm guessing you have one monitor rotated?

I'll have a look that this weekend to see why it's doing this...

Edit: So it appears my attempt to implement monitor spanning caused some issues when there are oddly sized or arranged monitors. Most of my test cases were around the classic side-by-side dual-monitor setup. I'm working on this, and will have a fix in the near future. Unchecking 'allow spanning across monitors' may fix your problem in the short-term.
Dec 5, 2014 at 3:39 AM
Edited Dec 5, 2014 at 3:41 AM
Neither monitor is in portrait mode, and spanning is already unchecked (if it matters, Limit Image Scaling is also unchecked, although I think I tried it both ways before reporting the problem). However, I suspect you're on the right track. It's a slightly unusual arrangement in that "Monitor 2" is the larger of the two and is on the left, and "Monitor 1" is a laptop.

Thanks for looking into it!
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM
My boyfriend has the same setup as you. Try making the laptop monitor the primary one. His monitor is on the right, but it shouldn't matter.
Changing the primary from the monitor to the laptop fixed his issue.
Dec 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM
After looking again, it does seem that his laptop would show the same image on both if the larger of the two monitors was set as primary.
Changing your primary to the laptop screen (for whatever reason), works. He now has separate images for each monitor.
It is a bit of an annoyance to do though.
You will have to move your taskbar back to where it was, and all your programs will initially open on your laptop display after the change.
Once you move them back to the monitor you want them to open on, Windows will remember.
Hope this helps :-)
Dec 6, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Thanks all. I've got the issue identified, I'm just working on a fix. It's a tricky one...
Dec 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Version 1.3.4 is now up. This should address any issues you've been having.
Dec 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Yes! I can confirm that it's working. Thanks you!
Dec 7, 2014 at 8:30 PM
cmrazek wrote:
Version 1.3.4 is now up. This should address any issues you've been having.
Apparently my BF switched his monitors back so his larger one is the primary.
I installed the newest update for him today, and It's still cutting off/wrapping images between the monitors.
He has a 16801050 laptop and a 19201080 monitor extended.
He's fine with it, and my two monitors (16801050), and my TV (19201080) work fine.
He said he doesn't care, but I thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for all your work on this ;-)
Dec 9, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Well, sounds like something's still not right...
  • Is he in full screen or collage mode?
  • Is 'Separate image for each monitor' checked?
  • Is 'Allow spanning across monitors' checked?
  • What is 'Maximum Image Clip' set to?
In the following folder, the wallpaper images/settings are kept:
C:\Users_<your_username>_\AppData\Local\WallSwitch

You should see a wallpaper image file named something like:
4563a26c-8829-442a-ad57-a195109cc045_display.png

There will also be another file named something like:
4563a26c-8829-442a-ad57-a195109cc045_display.png.wall

If you could provide the contents of the ".wall" file, then that'll let me see how your monitors are layed out, so I can try to reproduce the issue. (that file contains no sensitive info)
Dec 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM
His .wall file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<WallpaperImageFile xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="WallSwitch.Data">
  <Name>7a4ac8c9-05b8-4328-bfe3-f4dd8b35c1a6_display.png</Name>
  <Size>
    <X>3520</X>
    <Y>1080</Y>
  </Size>
  <Offset>
    <X>1600</X>
    <Y>0</Y>
  </Offset>
  <Screen>
    <Primary>false</Primary>
    <Bounds>
      <Left>0</Left>
      <Top>0</Top>
      <Width>1600</Width>
      <Height>900</Height>
    </Bounds>
    <WorkingArea>
      <Left>0</Left>
      <Top>0</Top>
      <Width>1600</Width>
      <Height>900</Height>
    </WorkingArea>
  </Screen>
  <Screen>
    <Primary>true</Primary>
    <Bounds>
      <Left>1600</Left>
      <Top>0</Top>
      <Width>1920</Width>
      <Height>1080</Height>
    </Bounds>
    <WorkingArea>
      <Left>1600</Left>
      <Top>0</Top>
      <Width>1920</Width>
      <Height>1050</Height>
    </WorkingArea>
  </Screen>
</WallpaperImageFile>
Dec 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Thanks. Is he by chance using Windows 8? I'm noticing some different behaviour around how the image tiles across monitors on that OS.
Dec 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM
we both are, but my monitors are the same size and work fine.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Sigh... that'll teach me not to test on the most recent version of Windows (I'm on Windows 7). That fix I implemented last weekend actually broke Windows 8 support.

Version 1.3.5 is up now. Thanks for your help on this.
Dec 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM
It seems to be working. I'll let you know once it's been running for a while.
The version number wasn't updated, so it's still saying there's an update ;-)

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Oops. I've updated the installer with the correct version now. Thanks for catching that.
Dec 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM
No problem. It looks good on his machine so far. Thanks for fixing that. He didn't care but it drove me nuts :-)