Feature requests

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:21 AM
Hello!
I have been using your program for a few days. Let me tell you that it's great. I love the feel of it. Great piece of software. Thank you so much for this.

I have a few feature ideas. I put a lot here… I figured, that maybe you can read them and see if you like them. Some may be easier to implement than other. I’m going to try to read through the code to see if I can help out, but I wanted to post this to see if anyone else would be interested in them.

Feature 1 - More keyboard shortcuts for:
  • Shortcut for theme switch
  • Shortcut for view current image
    • Displays current image while in ‘Full screen’
    • Displays the history while in ‘Collage’
Feature 2 - Default startup theme:
A theme that comes up only for the first 2 minutes after windows logs on.
Scenario
You have visitors at home. PC is off.
You have to show them something on your computer,
BUT you have a NSFW theme loaded that you don’t want them to see…
Wall Switch loads the default background with SFW images, while you have enough time to switch the theme to something more appropriate.

Feature 3 - Settings transparency:
This would help the user see the background while changing the settings.

Does anyone else like any of these?
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Feature 1:
There are already hot-keys that you can assign to each theme to switch to it, or switch the next image in that theme. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by "theme switch".

In the history list, the most recent images are always displayed at the beginning, so the first one is the 'current'. Also, when you have more than one monitor, or select multiple collage images, there can be more than one 'current' image, so adding a shortcut to view those could make the UI cumbersome and confusing.

Feature 2:
The gotcha here is that WallSwitch doesn't switch the wallpaper the very second the computer starts up; it usually takes a bit before the application is loaded. When Windows starts up, it remembers your last wallpaper before it shut down, so your visitors would catch a glimpse of your NSFW theme before WallSwitch can switch to the 'safe' one.

To compensate for this, I'll add a checkbox to the Settings (under Change Frequency) that allows you to specify the theme that it'll change to just before the program exits. Then when Windows starts up, that wallpaper will be shown instead. Under Tools -> Settings, you could change the Start-up/Resume Delay to 120 seconds to make it wait 2 minutes (by default it's 15 seconds). This feature will be included in the next version.
Note: This won't help you if you have a power outage or BSOD.

Feature 3:
Good idea; I added a slider that changes the transparency of the window.
Dec 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Feature 1:
Ohhh. I see. What I was thinking was a shortcut to rotate through the themes one by one. You took it a step further and allowed a shortcut per theme.
Nvm on this one, I like your implementation better.
Since the Hot Key was under the "Change frequency" I thought this was another place in the UI to implement a "Next image" shortcut. Which would have been redundant. My bad.

Feature 2:
Yeah I ran a few tests and that definitely seemed to be the case. Changing the theme before the program exits would be perfect.

Feature 3:
Cool. I'm glad you like it. I almost exclusively use the collage mode. And it takes a little wiggling to get the right image size to image(s) per switch ratio for a given monitor.

Do you have any new cool features coming up? Or is it a secret?