This project is read-only.

Option to not monitor a folder?

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:41 PM
Hey. It's been a while :-)
Next time your playing ion the code, could you maybe add an option to disable image location monitoring?
I have stuff from previous years in folders that'll never be added to. Some might get deleted occasionally, and usually as I see them through WS, but there's no need to scan them all every time the computer starts.
Unless I'm mistaken, it does scan all image location entries on startup does it not?
Also, if you're gonna be in the code, could you maybe put the rescan duration option in a dropdown or editable area in the window with the location and next update? It would be nice to quickly see what location is set to what duration, and it would save a lot of time changing them individually.
Thanks!
Hope you're having a great summer!
Aug 5, 2016 at 12:10 AM
Oh, and while I'm in an ask, could you put an "show" command into the desktop context menu?
Windows 10 AU is a bit of a bitch to find things, so having it in the context menu on the desktop with customize, and stuff would help.
Aug 12, 2016 at 6:52 PM
WallSwitch doesn't actually persist the list of files anywhere, so each time it starts up it needs to do a full scan to know which files are available. I can look into creating a database to store those files, but you'll have to give me a while to implement that, as it's not super simple. :)

As for the 'show' command, you can bring up the window by double-clicking the tray icon. I recommend using that, as I'd rather not pollute the desktop context menu with another menu item.
Aug 12, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Cool. I thought there was a database somewhere. No worries.

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:00 PM
Ok, version 1.4 is out.

Because you have a significant number of images in your library, you'll probably notice a delay when it first starts up because it'll have to insert them all into the database, but it should run fine after that.
Sep 5, 2016 at 6:46 PM
Thank you! It seems fine now. I will mention just as an FYI that I usually drag and drop my folders into the Images tab.
When I did that with the top level folder with a ton of images in folders beneath it, it got stuck in an update loop.
The default refresh is 1 Hour, and it took more than an hour to write the database.
I added the folder through the dialog box and set the update to 365 Days, It took just over an hour to finish, but it's working fine.
I thought I'd let you know in case someone else mentions the loop. Or, conversely, you might want to change the default update time to 8 hours or 1 Day.
Thanks again for all your hard work!

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:50 PM
Over an hour? Yikes. I'll look into that.

I have 2300 images in my folders, and it seemed to load them all in under a second. But, like you suggested, maybe there's issues when an update occurs at the same time.

Thanks
Sep 10, 2016 at 12:38 AM
I'm not sure how your database works, but un-selecting a folder in the list doesn't exclude it from displaying it contents anymore either.
I know you put a lot of work into this, but maybe your way was better in the first place? The database seems an un-necessary accessory to anyone but me, and it was much faster to rebuild whatever it did before on startup than it is now. I figured it would just create an xml of filenames and + or - hidden attribute for each entry which I assumed it did before, but it would just save it in the appdata folder rather than rebuild on startup. I'm worried that I asked for too much and anyone who tries it for the first time now will just skip it for something else that's faster since photo collections aren't going to get any smaller. If it's easier to just return to what it was doing before than try to update just because I asked, then please do so.
Cheers.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM
You're right, I completely overlooked excluding unchecked locations from the image selection. I'll have an update out in a moment.

At this point, it would be a ton of work to go back to the old xml files. I actually prefer the database, as it doesn't have to keep the image lists in memory, and reduces the memory footprint.
Sep 11, 2016 at 8:16 PM

I feel like a dick for pointing it out but it doesn't seem to be ignoring hidden files anymore. I don't know about folders as I don't have any hidden.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:00 PM
Hmm... I haven't touched that part of the code. Are you changing the files to hidden after they've been initially scanned into the database?
Sep 12, 2016 at 9:03 PM
I dont think ive changed any in a while. It's possible though I suppose. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if it happens again.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:46 PM
Hi again.
You were right, I had made changes to a folder already scanned.
That aside, is there any way you could call the properties of a file from the image history?
Open, Explore & Delete are great, but the ability to rate 1 to 5 stars, or mark as hidden without opening explorer would be really nice.
A lot of times when "Explore File" is selected, it only opens the folder, not selecting the image itself.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:58 PM
I can get around the hidden attribute by checking it again when selecting an image. I'll make that change.

I can look into capturing and displaying a rating, but factoring that into the image selection process might not be so easy, based on the way it works. I'll look into that.
Oct 9, 2016 at 8:22 PM
I realize I'm your most prolific requester. If yo've got an Amazon wishlist or something let me know and I'll try and repay you for everything you've done to WallSwitch.
I do have another ask though... Is it possible to enable the ability pull up the properties of a file from the history page?
Some I want to rate as 5 Star because they're awesome, and some I want to set to hidden.
Both of which I have to right click and explore to set, which doesn't always take for some reason.
Sometimes I need to close the spawned explorer window and try again to have the image selected in WS be selected in the resulting explorer window.
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving.
I have no idea where you're from, so have a "Happy" on us!

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:32 AM
I'm not so sure about pulling the ratings out of the Windows shell; that sounds.... problematic, to say the least. I could see storing separate ratings in the database, though. I'm pretty sure I've got the explorer file selection thing figured out, so that'll be fixed in the next version.

And yep, I'm Canadian, and sick of turkey leftovers by now. :)
Oct 16, 2016 at 11:29 PM
Is it possible to put a toggle between using the database, and not?
It's taking over an hour to rebuild it's database for my smallest of folders (which is rather big).
I'm using the computer in the background to do video compression, but having the wallpaper stuck for over an hour on the same image makes me come back over to see if Windows has frozen.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM
It's not just a matter of "turning off" the database. Many changes were made to support the new data structures, and it'd be pretty tough to go back to the old format.

There's probably something poorly optimized in there that I need to fix; I'll need to do some testing with a large amount of images. Amount how many images are we talking about here? (in a single folder, and in total)
Oct 19, 2016 at 1:04 AM
Update: Looks like I found the problem. SQLite is abysmally slow when doing a bunch of inserts/updates without putting them into a SQL transaction. After adding that bit of code, I was able to insert 20,000 images into the database in about 5 seconds. I'll have an update out this weekend to fix that.
Oct 20, 2016 at 12:50 AM
Cool. I have hundreds of thousands of images but they're spread intelligently.
Since There's no way to read the ratings of a file, I've created a folder of Symlinks for 5 Star photos, so I can deselect the rest of the locations and only show those, but even then it's just over 10,000 images.
I tried to go back to an earlier version of WS, but of the ones listed on the site, the latest one without the database didn't have the sequential random function, which sets WS far and away above anything else I've tried.
I'll let you know how things work with the update.
Thanks for all your hard work.
Got an Amazon wishlist or something?

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:20 PM
I forgot to mention that since the database, if it tries to access a file that's no longer there, it throws up this error.
I know it's because the image is missing, but it's not pretty, it takes focus, and if the settings are any way sequential, it'll just keep popping up until it finds an existing image assuming a few were deleted.
Just FYI while you're in the code.
Capture.JPG

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:51 PM
I put up a new version 1.4.2 to address the database performance issue, and the Explorer File problem. As for the ratings and all that, you'll have to give me some time to get that working properly.